Biomedical Engineering Courses
Biomedical Engineering was started in the year 2012 with an intake of 60 students. This Program is affiliated to Anna University and has been approved by AICTE, New Delhi. Our aim is to provide quality education to the students and impart Communication excellence in them. Apart from making them good technocrats, we also provide individual attention to make them good citizens of our nation to serve the industry and society constructively. The greatest advantage for the students is that the department is located in the vicinity of Karpaga Vinayaga Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS) and hospital, so that they can apply their theoretical knowledge imbibed from various subjects in practical sessions. The students are motivated and guided to pursue research in their field of interest with all the technical resources needed to carry out their research in association with KIMS. Keeping the employability of the graduates in mind we also offer special programme on communication skills and soft skills so that they become technical experts as well as confident personalities in today's competitive job market.
The department has faculty members with more than a decade of experience in teaching, research and industrial exposure from various areas in biomedical engineering. Our faculty and the students work extensively to build interdisciplinary knowledge in the areas of Medicine, Biomechanics, Bioinstrumentation and Biomedical Engineering. Apart from regular teaching classes, guest lectures by renowned professors on various subjects are also organized. The department has signed MOU with Michigan Technological University, USA for student and staff exchange programme. The department has planned to build tie-ups with several institutes and industries to facilitate Industrial visit, academic and research activities of the department. The students of the department are multi-faceted with an outstanding track record in academics and extra-curricular activities. We aim for excellence in under graduate education; meaningful and innovative research and service dedicated to advancing the field of Biomedical Engineering.
Designing the latest sophisticated clinical and biomedical devices for the health care of society
- To interlink engineering and biomedical sciences and utilize the existing technologies for improving the human healthcare
To prepare our students for community service through free and frank learning environment that promotes intellectual growth
To impart effective technical knowledge which will equip our students with the needs and demands of the industries
Programme Outcomes (PO):
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and biomedical engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and biomedical engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex biomedical engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the biomedical engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the biomedical engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the biomedical engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex bio-engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one's own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Programme Specific Outcome(PSO):
- At the end of the course the student would be able to apply the fundamentals of Biomedical Engineering in developing diagnostic and therapeutic devices to assist the physician and enhance the quality of life of the patients.
- Students would be able to develop algorithms to solve healthcare related problems in medical sector.
- Students would be able to develop state-of-the-hour medical instruments that would solve current societal and scientific issues.
Dr. K. Sivakumar Ph.D.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
International – 8; National – 18; Chapter in Book – 09
Project Guidance:B.Tech. - 24, M.Tech. - 04, Ph.D. - 02
Conference and Seminar Attended
International – 3; National – 12
- Sponsored National Level Conference, Seminar and Workshop
Department of Biotechnology, New Delhi, Department of Information Technology, New Delhi, Indian Society for Technical Education, New Delhi, Ministry of Earth Sciences, New Delhi, Tamilnadu Science and Technology Centre Chennai
Seminars & Workshops Conducted